We made pickles again!
| Last year’s pickles were so good, but some of us didn’t like the pickling spices too much. I decided to try some w/ and some w/o pickling spices this year. We’ll see. This is how I did it this year:
Wash pickling cucumbers in water only. Scrub well, especially the blossom end. Sterilize quart jars. Sterilize quart jars.
Make brine: 6 quarts water, ¾ cup salt dissolved in 1 quart boiling water, add 5 quarts more
Pack cukes into jars, tight so they won’t float up. I made three different versions this year.
Batch 1 (4 jars)
First add 1 tsp pickling spice, 1-2 cloves garlic, 1 big sprig dill. Pack with cukes all tight so they can’t float up and add more dill, and more garlic. Cover w/ brine to point where only surface tension is keeping water from spilling, put lid on but do not tighten band (or even don’t put band on.)
Batch 2: (2 jars)
Added about 10 pepper corns, big sprigs dill and garlic cloves. Packed in fatter cukes cut in half. Added more dill and garlic. Topped w/ brine as w/ batch 1.
Batch(let) 3: (square container)
Just spears of cukes on their sides packed w/ garlic and dill covered w/ brine and lid.
They will start fermenting in a couple of days for spears, a few more days for others. Keep cukes covered w/ brine. All the instructions say skim off any mold that forms, but I’ve never had any. Cap and refrigerate when they are sufficiently pickled. I like them at the NY Deli “half-sour” stage. Refrigeration will slow down, but not stop the fermentation, so the pickles will slowly get more “pickly.”